life is full of longing…we are often faced with ups & downs that seem insurmountable….loss & heartbreak can feel unbearable…finding balance and peace in the midst of uncertainty & the bla bla bla…i often find myself in the midst of my own personal dichotomies…i know deeply how unhealthy & damaging smoking can be, but its also achingly beautiful in a photograph….so i love the look of smoke while i am repelled by smoking….i love locally grown organic food, but love the look on my son’s face when he eats a french fry….and these are the easy ones to spot…the harder moments are the ones that tug at your heart & leave you off balance…the yin & yang…that what you “should” do verses what you “want” to do….there are of course the blessed moments when the “shoulds” match up with the “wants”, but not always….finding balance & embracing peace in your heart sometimes means going in the opposite direction of what you are longing for….admiring the cloud of beautiful smoke & yet not reaching for a cigarette….loving yourself against all odds….choosing happiness….letting the inevitable twists & turns of life inspire you rather than define you….embrace the journey…expect the unexpected…someone you love will let you down….someone you are not close to, will surprise you in the most wonderful way….the glass can always be full….what do you want to fill it with??

1. Jessica:
    Jun 21-2010 , 10:43AM
    thank you thank you thank you. Much gratitude. This is just what I needed to hear today! You are so beautiful and your work is gorgeous!
  2. Jun 21-2010 , 12:40PM
    Great observations. They really ring true. The balance I'm trying to maintain is between weight and food. I WANT to go out to eat with friends and try all the delicious options. But I SHOULD eat very healthy. Ironically, my SHOULD is actually a WANT, because eating healthy supports my want to be thin... sigh. Such a balancing act this life...
  3. Jun 21-2010 , 02:28PM
    Ahhh, so true! I absolutely adore this photograph!
  4. Jun 21-2010 , 02:43PM
    yes. very very true. And I really believe, happiness IS a CHOICE! oh, and a beautiful photo, a smoke and a cigarette make a beautiful, vintage-ish prop.
  5. Jun 21-2010 , 02:57PM
    gorgeous - amazing as always, its pictures like this that are speak a thousand words.
  6. Lauren:
    Jun 21-2010 , 03:13PM
    oh wow... incredible photo!
  7. Jun 21-2010 , 06:51PM
    [...] so beautiful… Posted: June 22, 2010 by mignonnorthimagery in Uncategorized 0 I’d like to share this blog post by one of my favourite photographers, Elisabeth Messina.  What she wrote here is so beautiful and, summarizes what I’ve been feeling a lot lately.  As some of your know, my husband’s Dad has quickly become very sick lately.  Makes you think of life so completely and irrevocably different.  You try to be strong, but some days, it just feels just like how Ms. Messina puts it.  Check it out here. [...]
  8. Jun 22-2010 , 12:01AM
    Thank you for this Elizabeth. This is particularly meaningful to me today. . . you are a gift. love, Liane
  9. Rochelle:
    Jun 22-2010 , 07:17AM
    This photo i love. A beautiful contrast between something so beautiful and something dreadfully ugly.
  10. Jun 22-2010 , 10:45AM
    the french fry line did it for me :))

"just eat the cookie and move on with life" (my mom says)

:))
  11. Jun 22-2010 , 01:19PM
    ...i want to fill my glass with love. Thank you Elizabeth for reminding us of this. We often forget...often..
  12. Jun 22-2010 , 01:21PM
    I read this to myself several times yesterday and today... it couldn't have come at a better time... thank you so much for sharing...
  13. kasandra:
    Jun 22-2010 , 01:24PM
    yes, smoke is beautiful in pictures ... there's just something so soothing and sensual in seeing someone smoke ... and this comes from a non-smoker but someone who was raised by and around smoking ... but like you said, that's an easy one :)
    thank you for a lovely post and a gorgeous picture ... you're right, happiness is a choice and it's a no-brainer for me!
  14. Taryn:
    Jun 23-2010 , 10:52AM
    I have this discussion everyday with my patients...how to be healthy and yet enjoy the little indulgences that make life worthwhile...I'm quickly realizing the term "moderation" is interpreted differently by everybody...but the words "happy" and "healthy" aren't....therein lies the middle place...thank you for the thoughtful juxtaposition in your language of photos...
  15. Jun 24-2010 , 10:09AM
    perfectly stated and just what was needed in my day, thanks. gorgeous work as always;)
  16. Jun 28-2010 , 01:35PM
    You couldn't have said it any better! Thanks for sharing an amazing image and post with us! :)
  17. Jul 20-2010 , 01:52PM
    I could sit in front of my computer and look at this shot all day...
  18. Aug 04-2011 , 11:34AM
    [...] I’d like to share this blog post by one of my favourite photographers, Elisabeth Messina.  What she wrote here is so beautiful and, summarizes what I’ve been feeling a lot lately.  As some of your know, my husband’s Dad has quickly become very sick lately.  They are very close, in looks, in ambition, and in, well, everything.  Makes you think of life so completely and irrevocably different.  You try to be strong, but some days, it just feels just like how Ms. Messina puts it.  Check it out here. [...]