blessings2

i’ve always been fascinated by the way people blend…two people fall in love & create a little life…this sweet little person is a physical manifestation of love…we look for pieces we recognize…he has your “smile”…she has your “ears”…but really they’re an unimaginably perfect blend…years ago when i was pregnant with my first child, “the blessing project” was born….all children are blends…

blessings4

but i’ve been particularly interested in how beautiful children from parents with different ethnic backgrounds blend…the sweet union of differences is amazing…so much beauty….and i think there is something powerful about a new born life looking up at two different faces & loving them the same…not knowing any difference….only learning later in life that there was a difference to begin with….

blessings

there was a moment when my four year old daughter looked up at me & asked me, “mama, if i scratch my skin….do i look like you underneath?”…my heart dropped to my stomach & i looked at her sweet face….i realized my answer was both yes & no…her brown skin would always be hers…just as my fair skin was mine….yet if you scratched either of us, we would bleed….we are, as all humans are…utterly & in the most important ways, simply the same….we love…we bleed…we dream…we are….

blessings5

as i continue to photograph the blessing project…i do humbly & aware that there is much i do not & will not ever understand about the world…but one thing i know for sure, children are blessings….

blessings6

xoxo

1. Mar 01-2010 , 06:00AM
    A beautiful post. Thank you.
  2. Mar 01-2010 , 06:55AM
    Always inspiring.
  3. Mar 01-2010 , 07:45AM
    Such a beautiful way to start the week. Thank you...
  4. Mar 01-2010 , 08:24AM
    I adore this post. It speaks to me and who I am. Thank you for sharing.
  5. Mar 01-2010 , 08:29AM
    I love your blog so much!
    You have the most amazing pics!!
    Thank you for sharing!
  6. Ingrid:
    Mar 01-2010 , 08:52AM
    I loved this post. When my son was born he was just that perfect. A combination of me and of his father. When I look at the young man he's become kind , handsome funny witty ..perfect I have to smile. While he and I no longer look alike and his features are more like his fathers it's beautiful to see the young man he's become. I loved your response to your daughter..it reminded me of so much.
  7. Jessica:
    Mar 01-2010 , 10:08AM
    Thank you for putting such beautiful words out into the world. It warms my soul.
  8. Mar 01-2010 , 10:22AM
    you are divine - I too feel that mixed ethnicities make the most beautiful people on the planet - inside and out. I had always thought / hoped my children would be so very different from me, but then you do not choose who you fall in love with and though our children may not be blessed with the combination of different ethnicities , I hope we can gift them with the love in their hearts that we are all, like you say, so similar underneath. What a beautiful post - thank you. xx
  9. Mar 01-2010 , 10:23AM
    Oh wow...perfect words. I love this project to pieces.
  10. Mar 01-2010 , 10:25AM
    Thank you for showing us how truly gorgeous the world we live in is. You have an amazing way with the camera. One of your biggest fans! ~Winnie
  11. Mar 01-2010 , 10:29AM
    What a lovely way to start this Monday - thank you Elizabeth!
  12. Mar 01-2010 , 10:34AM
    beautiful words...~! xoxo
  13. Mom:
    Mar 01-2010 , 11:12AM
    This is so beautifully written and conceived - you are so specially gifted and I am so proud of you.
  14. Kristin:
    Mar 01-2010 , 11:15AM
    Beautiful... thank you.
  15. Mar 01-2010 , 11:34AM
    I really love this. The photos are beautiful as always, and your thoughts here are so well-written. Thank you for this post.
  16. Mar 01-2010 , 11:47AM
    such a beautiful post!
  17. Mar 01-2010 , 12:32PM
    Oh Elizabeth, you bring tears to my eyes!!! You are amazing, and you have made me so so excited to have babies someday soon!!! Love to you and your beautiful family!
  18. Mar 01-2010 , 12:49PM
    Lovely post! This project is so inspiring :)
    Your posts always speak to me in such a beautiful way.
  19. Mar 01-2010 , 02:34PM
    I had to comment and tell you; I love this post.
  20. Katie:
    Mar 01-2010 , 05:28PM
    I too am very interested in children with parents of different ethnic backgrounds- how they come together and create a new, perfect being. Your photos are stunning, absolutely beautiful!
  21. Mar 01-2010 , 06:08PM
    Thanks for sharing these beautiful words and images Elizabeth! xo
  22. Mar 02-2010 , 02:09AM
    Uhhhh!!! You have me misty eyed over here...that was so beautiful Elizabeth!
  23. Mar 02-2010 , 03:29AM
    I can't wait until the day my love and I have children - I'm pale swedish and born with white blond hair, he's half finnish half Indian with beautiful dark hair and cappucino skin.... I also love the mix!
  24. Mar 02-2010 , 03:33AM
    lovely photos as usual! my nephew is actually a perfect blend...a white mama with a hit of japanese and a dark father...making him the sweetest little brown color I've ever seen! He's gorgeous!
  25. Mar 02-2010 , 03:47AM
    ... and every single word is true. So inspiring, Your words speak right to my heart x
  26. Mar 02-2010 , 07:30AM
    How lovely is this, Elizabeth? Just love this post.
  27. Mar 02-2010 , 09:22AM
    Lovely : ) I always look at my daughter and see... the most beautiful girl in the world. I pinch myself everyday... is this really? My dream come true.
  28. Anne K.:
    Mar 02-2010 , 10:25AM
    I look at your blog every day and I'm constantly in awe at the images you capture...but today's post brought tears to my eyes. As I prepare for the birth of my first child in May i often sit and wonder what amazing combination of me and my boyfriend it will be. Will it have my blue eyes with my boyfriends warm, brown skin? Will this child know that no matter what the color of it's eyes or shade of it's skin that it's father and i love them so much already without ever having set eyes on it's beautiful face. thank you for expressing my thoughts in those amazing images and lovely words.
  29. Mar 02-2010 , 11:12AM
    Beautiful. Beautiful words and beautiful pictures. I hope your words go out into the universe and spread more love around b/c they are so very true!
  30. Kerry:
    Mar 02-2010 , 05:29PM
    You're not only a beautiful photographer, but a beautiful writer. I tear up at practically every post!
  31. Mar 02-2010 , 08:58PM
    No words, just in awe of the post and how much you already make the world a beautiful place... one picture at a time....
  32. Mar 03-2010 , 04:59PM
    makin the pregnant lady cry here! : ) lovely, lovely photos and words.
  33. Mar 04-2010 , 02:28AM
    the blend of difference ethnics > i love this!!! i love your post and always update to your blog... it's all awesome.
  34. mel:
    Mar 04-2010 , 08:10AM
    your work is pure beauty and inspiration....
    you are yourself a blend of talent and soul in every image and word, and few photographers love life and hit hearts in the way you do....
  35. Mar 09-2010 , 09:54AM
    I'm so touched and moved by these images and your words, and love all these photographs. Just beautiful...
  36. Mar 11-2010 , 09:56PM
    You have such a beautiful heart. I'm glad I was able to hear you speak at WPPI.
  37. Mar 17-2010 , 04:46PM
    I will be so happy when the day comes that no one knows what "group" anyone belongs to the group called human. Your words ring so true. My husband and I are from mixed heritages. We are trying to get pregnat ans we cannot wait to see what our baby will look like. Thanks for the inspiration.
  38. Mar 17-2010 , 10:14PM
    beautiful!
  39. Eddie:
    Apr 16-2010 , 10:57AM
    "but i’ve been particularly interested in how beautiful children from parents with different ethnic backgrounds blend.." Call me crazy, but I think all children are enately beautiful.... regardless of ethnic make up.
  40. B:
    Apr 17-2010 , 08:46PM
    I also am a mother of mixed children, me being caucasian and my husband african american, and I can relate to this post. My daughter is 4 and notices the difference in color between her father and me. I will raise her to know that we are not judged by God for the color of our skin, but for the lives we lead and how we praise and glorify Him! Children are definately blessings! I thank God everyday for my children!
  41. carrie:
    May 07-2010 , 10:32AM
    This is one of the most beautiful things I've read and viewed. I am a new bride who looks forward to beautiful mixed children in my future. You articulate love, beauty, compassion, heartache and acceptance in your words and photos in a way many struggle to express. And, simply put, children are a blessing and a miracle of love. Thank you for this. It's beautifully simple and perfect.
  42. Aug 09-2010 , 07:50PM
    i really love this post... lovely, inspiring words... beautiful pictures.. Simply PERFECT!! i'm gonna post this in my site.. check this out >>> http://chubskawaii.tumblr.com/post/929837635/the-blessing-project
  43. Sep 02-2010 , 11:39AM
    i may be late in finding this post but nonetheless incredibly moved - by your words & photos.
  44. Nov 08-2010 , 12:17PM
    your post brought tears streaming down my face. so beautiful and such sweet innocence. your words move me to the core. thank you for sharing.
  45. Jun 14-2011 , 06:46PM
    So beautiful what you wrote about your daughter when she was four! It's so true. Maybe my girls will ask me something similar someday as they too are a beautiful darken blend :)
  46. Nov 13-2012 , 08:57PM
    You have a way with words...and you find beauty in the most basic of all things human. Thank you.
  47. Mar 19-2013 , 07:05PM
    Such a great post! my dad is spanish and my mom is korean and i turned out to be a masterpiece. co incidence? x
  48. Aug 22-2013 , 02:50PM
    Amazing! I love all of these, sweet and real. Priceless!